Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Couponing.... is it worth it?

I'm a fan of the TLC show Extreme Couponing, not because it's interesting (because, really it's only cool the first time or so...) but mainly because it got me started on couponing and saving money.  Now, the trick to save money with coupons is to combine your coupons with the sales.  For example, say you LOVE yogurt... and yogurt is on sale this week buy one get one free. They would normally cost $1.25 each but you have a coupon for 35 cents off one yogurt.  My store doubles coupons for up to 50 cents so really we're getting 70 cents off each.  Since you're buying two, you can use TWO coupons (just read your coupon, the instructions are very specific)... so combined with the buy one get one free sale and two doubled 35 cent off coupons, the store would actually be paying you 15 cents for every two yogurts that you buy. Neat, huh?

SOOO, here's how I coupon.   First off, I buy two Sunday papers (best for those buy one get one sales to have two coupons).  Then I clip the coupons and organize them into my coupon book (Chris always kindly jumps in to help on this part, and also the shopping part... it's actually a fun activity to do together) by like items (hair products with hair products, etc...).  Moving on...


Then, to get ready for a shopping trip I plan the trip and put the coupons for one shopping trip in a ziplock baggie.  This is usually the most time consuming part, finding the best deals for your money... 



This week, I went to CVS and Winn-Dixie... I would recommend knowing your store's coupon policy before hitting the stores.... it can help you save some serious money!




 I know CVS is not a grocery store but you can do some serious damage there! For example, this week they had a promotion where if you bought $30 dollars worth of certain items, you would get a ten
dollar gas card.  NOT too shabby!! And really watch the extra bucks! Do all of your purchases that will give you extra bucks first, then do a second purchase of non extra buck items and use your extra bucks and coupons to pay for it. So the other day I purchased about $280 worth of stuff including:


five 2-liter bottles of sprite
eight gatorades
two packs of pork tenderloins
four bags of chips
schick hydro razor
six jars of peanut butter
two 36-packs of tampons
two bottles of lotion
one body wash
two family packs of voila frozen meals
two family packs of frozen vegetables
two packs of twizzlers
two packs of sandwich rounds
two packs of bagels
two boxes of cereal
three pringles cans
two mashed potatos
two boxes of fiber one bars
two bottles of purex detergent
two packs of Finish dish detergent

...and lots and lots of toilet paper.

ALL of this and I spent just about $130.  I know... it's not extreme... but it's about a 50% savings and I'm PROUD!

Ask me coupon questions, and I'll do my best to help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment